Vodafone has officially announced and confirmed that it will be the first network service provider to launch the fastest 5G service to both consumers and business customers in the UK. Vodafone in an official blog post said that the 5G service in the UK will be rolled starting in seven cities across the UK on 3 July 2019. This includes cities: Glasgow, London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, and Bristol.
Cities including Birkenhead, Blackpool, Bournemouth, Guildford, Newbury, Portsmouth, Plymouth, Reading, Southampton, Stoke-on-Trent, Warrington and Wolverhampton will follow later this year.
The company will also offer 5G roaming in the UK, Germany, Italy, and Spain over the summer. One very important statement that Vodafone given in its announcement is that the price of the 5G will be the same as 4G for both consumers and business customers.
Here are the main highlights of the Vodafone 5G Service Launch announcement in the UK.
- Vodafone 5G available in seven cities at launch, with 12 other cities live by the end of 2019
- First company to announce 5G roaming in four European countries
- 3 July switch-on for both business and consumer customers, with 5G priced the same as 4G
- Four 5G smartphones and a 5G home router coming soon
- Wasps rugby stadium and netball venue to be transformed into 5G entertainment arenas
5G speed is said to provide 10 times faster speed than 4G. Vodaphone said that customers will be able to choose their favorite 5G compatible devices ahead of their network switches-on. The devices included are.
- The Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 5G smartphone, which will initially be available exclusively from Vodafone online and in-store from 23 May 2019;
- The Samsung S10 5G and Huawei Mate 20 X (5G), which will be available for pre-order later this month; and
- The Huawei Mate X (5G) and an exclusive 5G home router, called the 5G Gigacube, which will launch this summer.