Apple on Tuesday finally released it’s much-awaited new macOS Catalina for mac devices launched in 2012 and later. Notably, macOS Catalina made its debut at WWDC 2019 this year in June as a beta for testers and now it’s finally available to download for everyone. macOS Catalina brings a host of new features including recently launched Apple Arcade game subscription service. The service brings over 100 free games to download and play as part of a monthly subscription plan which starts for a monthly fee of $4.99.
macOS Catalina also split up the iTunes in this update and brings separate apps for Apple Music, TV, and Podcasts. There is also a new Sidecar, Screen Time and a brand new Find My features have been brought with the latest macOS Catalina update. Let’s have a look at the top new features added in the newly released macOS Catalina below.
macOS Catalina Top New Features
- Separate apps for Apple Music, TV, and Podcasts
- New Sidecar feature to let you use your iPad as a second display
- Apple Arcade now available for iPhone and iPad
- Catalyst feature, it allows developers to easily bring their iPad apps to the app store
- Screen Time, available with the iOS 12, it will help users manage their time on the mac
- New Find My app to let you find your stolen or lost Apple device
- Updated apps with improvements to Photos, Reminders, Notes, Mail, and Safari
- Continuity Markup and Sketch lets you write and sketch on PDFs or mark up your documents with Apple Pencil
- Security – Checks all the newly installed apps from the store or internet for any known security issues
- Activation Lock is now available on all Mac models that comes with the Apple T2 Security Chip
- Approve with Apple Watch, lets you authenticate on your Mac by double-click the side button on your Apple Watch
- Accessibility, lets you control your Mac, iOS, and iPadOS devices entirely with your voice
You can check out the full new features added in the latest macOS Catalina update here.
If you get the download notification on your max and if you decide to download then do keep in mind that macOS Catalina drops support for the support for 32-bit apps which means that some of your favorite apps may stop working. So, you are advised to check the compatibility of the app with the latest macOS Catalina update.
How to Download macOS Catalina
You can manually download and install the macOS Catalina on any of your mac devices launched in 2012 and later. You can simply head to your Mac App Store or System Preferences > Software Update you check if there is any update to the latest macOS Catalina. Notably, the macOS Catalina update file size is around 8.09GB and it can be downloaded on all the compatible mac devices listed below.
- 12-inch MacBook
- MacBook Air, 2012 and later
- Mac Pro, 2013 and later
- MacBook Pro, 2012 and later
- Mac mini, 2012 and later
- iMac, 2012 and later
- iMac Pro