Qualcomm today launched its new flagship Snapdragon 888 5G processor system-on-a-chip (SoC) for mobile devices. The new Snapdragon 888 SoC features Qualcomm’s 6th-gen AI engine, next-gen Adreno graphics, and a 3rd generation Qualcomm Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF System. The new Snapdragon 888 SoC also integrates the 3rd generation of Snapdragon Elite Gaming.
Qualcomm also says that the new SoC is also 35% faster than the previous generation SoC such as the Snapdragon 865 processor in terms of taking photos and videos. With the gigapixel speed Qualcomm Spectra ISP, users can capture photos and videos at 2.7 gigapixels per second or roughly 120 photos at 12MP resolution.
Below are the key highlights of the new Snapdragon 888 SoC which are is said to deliver.
- 26 tera operations per second (TOPS)
- Updateable GPU drivers
- 5G support, thanks to the Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF System
- Frame rates up to 144 frames per second (fps), thanks to next-gen Adreno graphics and 3rd-gen Qualcomm Snapdragon Elite Gaming
- Faster gigapixel speed, 2.7 gigapixels per second or roughly 120 photos at 12MP
- 35% faster than the previous generation
The new Snapdragon 888 SoC is expected to be available with the upcoming next-gen- smartphones. As of now, OEMs including ASUS, Black Shark, Lenovo, LG, MEIZU, Motorola, Nubia, Realme, OnePlus, OPPO, Sharp, Vivo, Xiaomi, and ZTE have provided their support for Snapdragon 888.
So we are likely to see the new Snapdragon 888 SoC in the upcoming smartphones from these OEMs.