Qualcomm on Tuesday announced its new 7 nm based Snapdragon 870 5G SoC for the mobile platform. Qualcomm says that the new chip is a connectivity powerhouse, that features both the Snapdragon X55 5G Modem-RF System and the Qualcomm FastConnect 6800 Subsystem. The new Snapdragon 870 5G SoC aims to feature a really fast internet speed with its X55 5G Modem-RF System. It is said to provide 5G connectivity with peak speeds up to 7.5 Gbps.
Notably, the X55 5G modem also supports mmWave, Sub-6 GHz, TDD, FDD, and Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS) for widespread accessibility. Qualcomm says that the new Snapdragon 870 5G SoC also comes with an upgraded Qualcomm Kryo 585 CPU and the ultra-fast Qualcomm Adreno 650 GPU that provides mobile computing at a speed up to 3.2 GHz.
The new Snapdragon 870 5G SoC with 5th gen Qualcomm Artificial Intelligence (AI) Engine also includes Qualcomm Hexagon 698 Processor with Hexagon Tensor Accelerator. Below you can find all the features of the newly announced SoC.
Snapdragon 870 5G SoC Features
- Kryo 585 provides an uptick in performance compared to Snapdragon 865+, up to 3.2GHz
- Adreno 650 GPU delivers smooth, fast graphics rendering
- Full suite of Snapdragon Elite Gaming features including Desktop Forward Rendering, Qualcomm Game Color Plus v2.0, Qualcomm Game Smoother
- True 10-bit HDR gaming and updatable GPU drivers
- FastConnect 6800 supports leading Wi-Fi 6 technology features and integrates advanced audio capabilities
- 4-Stream (2×2 + 2×2) Dual Band Simultaneous harnesses multiple antennas and bands to provide superior speed/latency performance compared with common two-stream implementations
- Supports global roaming and global multi-SIM
- Supports all key regions and frequency bands including mmWave, sub-6, TDD, FDD and Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS)
- Compatible with both standalone and non-standalone modes
- CV-ISP operates at 2 Gigapixels per second
- No limit HD slow-motion video capture at 960 FPS
- Dolby Vision for video capture on mobile
- Qualcomm Sensing Hub
- Low power AI voice assistant support with contextual awareness
- Supports voice, audio, and sensors
- Hexagon Voice Assistant Accelerator for advanced voice use cases
- Qualcomm Aqstic Audio Technologies offer native DSD support, PCM up to 384 kHz/32-bit and customizable “Golden Ears” filter
- Qualcomm aptX Adaptive audio for robust, low-latency, and high-quality wireless audio
You can find all the specifications of the new Snapdragon 870 5G SoC here. Notably, the new Snapdragon 870 5G SoC is a lower-end variant the last month announced Snapdragon 888 SoC. To recall, Qualcomm launched its most powerful Snapdragon 888 SoC for mobile devices.
Snapdragon 888 SoC features Qualcomm’s 6th-gen AI engine, next-gen Adreno graphics, and a 3rd generation Qualcomm Snapdragon X60 5G Modem-RF System. The new Snapdragon 888 SoC also integrates the 3rd generation of Snapdragon Elite Gaming.
Qualcomm also says that the new 888 SoC is also 35% faster than the previous generation SoC such as the Snapdragon 865 processor in terms of taking photos and videos. With the gigapixel speed Qualcomm Spectra ISP, users can capture photos and videos at 2.7 gigapixels per second or roughly 120 photos at 12MP resolution.