Today Sony released the first major system software update for the PS5 that is now rolling out globally. The latest software update for the PS5 as its key highlights adds a new storage option where PS5 users can now store their PS5 games on a USB extended storage from their PS5’s internal storage. The latest PS5 software update also adds new social features for PS4 and PS5 consoles, enhanced control and personalization options for PS5, and a couple of new features for the PlayStation App.
This new USB extended storage option is pretty great and will help PS5 users to store their games on separate storage out of PS5’s storage.
Players can copy their PS5 games back to the console’s internal storage when they are ready to play. Do note, that PS5 can’t play a PS5 title from a USB extended storage directly. In order to play PS5 games on your console, you will need to transfer the game to the PS5’s internal storage.
Below you can find USB extended storage requirements on PS5 consoles.
- SuperSpeed USB 5 Gbps or later.
- 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity.
- Not all devices are guaranteed to work with the PS5 console.
- You can’t connect the drive through a USB hub.
- Two or more USB extended storage drives can’t be connected at the same time. You can connect multiple USB drives to your console, but you can use only one at a time.
As for the new social features, the latest PS5 system software update adds two new social features including Cross-generation Share Play and new Request to Join Game Session for both PS4 and PS5.
The update further improves the Game Base menu for quicker access to important content and features including the following new features:
- Disable Game Chat or Adjust Players’ Volume
- Game Update Pre-download
- Customize Game Library
- Screen Zoom
- New Trophy Settings and Stats Screen
The PlayStation App has also received new update today that brings the following new features to the app.
- Join PS5 multiplayer sessions from the app
- Manage PS5 storage
- Compare trophies with friends
- Sort/filter products in the PlayStation Store
More details on the latest PS5 system software update can be found here.